Monday, April 27, 2009

Weekly Fave

Anton Henning

"Interieur No. 395", 2008, Oil on linen, 74.13 x 67.91 inches


"Interior No. 392", 2008, oil on canvas, 220 x 188 cm


"Interior No. 321"

"Cranberry Juice, Virus and Band-Aid", 2006, oil on linen, 84" x 72"

I've been following Anton Henning's work for close to 20 years now since I first saw his paintings at his solo exhibit at Vrej Baghoomian Gallery, New York City in 1990. I had just graduated from college with my BA in studio art and moved to New York all full of piss and vinegar, ready to "conquer" the artworld. I was studying at the Art Students League at the time and saw hundreds of exhibits mainly in Soho. For the most part, I was unmoved by the majority of work I saw until I came across Anton's work. I was floored immediately by the very large, brightly colored and sensuously painted canvases. They were so full of life, wit and charm, and had this wonderful innocence about them. I also realized that here was an artist who certainly had a command over his medium. I immediately fell in love with his paintings and at the same time realized just how far I myself as a painter had to go. It was a humbling experience, but it also reinvigorated me to a degree that it was life changing for me as an artist.

http://www.antonhenning.com/

http://www.zachfeuer.com/antonhenning.html

http://vernissage.tv/blog/tag/anton-henning/

absract, abstract painting, art blog, the red painter blog, abstract artist, contemporary art, absract, abstract painting, art blog, the red painter blog, abstract artist, contemporary art, absract, abstract painting, art blog, the red painter blog, abstract artist, contemporary art, absract, abstract painting, art blog, the red painter blog, abstract artist, contemporary art, absract, abstract painting, art blog, the red painter blog, abstract artist, contemporary art, absract, abstract painting, art blog, the red painter blog, abstract artist, contemporary art,

No comments:

Post a Comment